2023 Quilt Show – “Quilts for All Seasons” – QUILT SHOW RULES
General Entry Rules
Judged Entry Rules
General Entry Rules
- Entries will be accepted from EIHQ members only. Please fill out a form for each entry.
- As it may be necessary to limit the number of entries due to space restrictions, you must prioritize the order in which your entires will be hung.
- No entries from previous EIHQ shows will be accepted.
- All workmanship must be the entrant’s own unless entered in the Duet or Group category.
- Only entries that are clean, smoke and odor free, and free of pet hair will be accepted.
- Each quilt must be quilted with three layers: the top, batting and backing. (Exceptions are those in the Special Techniques category). No mounted or framed entries will be judged. No tied quilts will be judged.
- Each quilt must have a label on the back for ID purposes. If you are having your entry judged, please cover your name with a piece of fabric attached with basting stitches. No pins as they can open and rip quilts.
- The quilt show committee has the final decision on the categorization of a particular entry.
- Disclaimer: Owners enter items at their own risk. Individuals are urged to adequately insure their entries under their homeowner’s insurance coverage. EIHQ is not responsible for loss or damage.
Judged Entry Rules
- It is the entrant’s responsibility to select the appropriate category. Quilts that do not meet the category guidelines will be judged, but will not be eligible for ribbon consideration.
- False backs will not be allowed. A false back is defined as backing that has been attached to a piece after quilting has been completed so that quilting does not show on the back of the quilt.
- The committee may also, at their discretion, move an entry to a different judging division. The committee may also combine or split judging divisions depending on the number of entries.
- Entries will be judged and ribbons may be awarded, at the judge’s discretion, for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention in each category.
- The Best of Show award will be selected from the first place winners in each category.
- Ribbons will be awarded to the entrant with an additional ribbon for the quilter if different from the entrant.
- Decisions of the judge are final.
- Additional ribbons awarded will be:
- Best in Show − Large (Perimeter greater than 260”)
- Best in Show − Small (Perimeter less than 260”)
- Best Pieced
- Best Wool
- Best Hand Quilting
- Best Stationary Machine Quilting
- Best Moveable Machine Quilting
- Best Hand Embroidery
- Best Machine Embroidery
- Judge’s Choice
- President’s Choice (Chosen by Guild President)
- Show Chair’s Choice (Chosen by Show Chair(s))
- President’s Challenge (Chosen by Guild President)
- Show Chair’s Challenge (Chosen by Show Chair(s)))
- First Time EIHQ Show Exhibitor
- Viewer’s Choice
- The entry window will be between March 15- March 31, 2023. Members are strongly encouraged to use the online entry method. Assistance will be available March 27 between meetings for those needing assistance. More information will follow in the newsletter, on the website and at the guild meeting. Those choosing to enter by paper should request a form from Kristie Mattson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Those forms are due by March 31.
- Fees: Judged entries require a fee of $10 and nonjudged entries require a fee of $5. These fees are nonrefundable for cancellations or no show entries.
- Quilts that cannot be hung due to space limitations will have their fees refunded.
- Entry check-in will be Monday, Monday, July 17, 2023 from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm at Prairie High School, 401 76th Ave SW Cedar Rapids, IA. You will sign two Drop-Off Entry Forms. You will keep one; we will keep the other.
- Entry pick-up will be Saturday, July 22, 2023 from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at Prairie High School. You MUST bring your signed copy of the Drop-Off Pick Up form to pick up your entries.